March has arrived and if you're tired of Winter (and who isn't at this point?) here's five ideas to give your home an "almost Spring" refresh:
1. Start with easy stuff - new pillows (or just pillow covers) and new throw blankets in pastel colours or a geometric pattern - it will revive your sofa!
2. Update and enlarge your rug to make your space feel bigger. A fresh colour will completely change the room. The small Persian rug my client had purchased on a trip to Europe now works in this space as a pop of red in the middle of the room, under the coffee table. It adds another layer of sophistication to this already elegant living room.
3. Window covering - roller blinds now come in so many fabrics and textured weaves, no need for boring white anymore. Add them under lightweight linen or cotton drapery for a more layered look and flexibility with light management. In rooms that get a lot of light, sheer blinds help filter the light while still giving you privacy. The beautiful custom drapery frames the window and coordinates with the pillows on the chairs.
4. Artwork - a bare wall just makes me sad! Add photography prints, a framed poster or a vintage painting from an antique shop. Art comes at every price point these days and so readily available with lots of great online sites ready to customize to your needs - just have fun experimenting with styles. In this living room the pop of fuchsia pink flowers in the artwork is a dramatic contrast to the Tiffany blue love seat and metallic silver wall covering. The artwork really finishes off this space and pulls everything together for a sophisticated professional couple that loves to entertain.
5. Floral displays and greenery liven up any space. I have found some really interesting vessels for my flowers at antique shops and consignment stores. Just putting a single yellow bloom inside an antique water pitcher or a cluster of pink peonies in a simple glass vase will give any room a jolt of Spring. Here a magnolia branch in a small ceramic vase sits proudly on a bedroom dresser, styled with a green glass water bottle & pretty glasses on a tray, beside a modern brass mirror. Style and function can work together in every space.
If you're not sure where to start, an in-home Consultation with an Interior Designer can help you hone in on where to get the biggest bang for your buck. Sometimes a refresh is all you need.